Required Documents for a Finland Schengen Visa
In addition to English and Finnish, visa application forms are also available in Spanish, French, and Russian. However, applications with additional documents written in French, Spanish, and Russian, must also be translated into either English, Finnish, or Swedish.
Documents for a Finnish visa application must be filled in using capital letters.
- Valid passport
- At least 2 blank pages
- With the applicant’s signature
- Not more than 10 years old
- Valid for at least 3 months after the expiration of the requested visa
- Previous passport, if applicable
- Passport-sized photos
- Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm
- Plain white background
- Taken within the past 6 months
- Forward-facing with facial features visible and clear
- Completed application form
- Biometric data (Fingerprints)
- Visa fee
- Documents pertinent to your trip
- Travel Itinerary or plan
- Proof of return to the country of residence or forward ticket to another country
- Reason for travel to Finland
- Flight reservations
- Proof of financial means (bank statements over the last 3-month period, personal properties, and/or other assets)
- Proof of accommodations (with booking reference number, location, and contact number of the hotel)
- Travel medical insurance
- Valid through the entire visa period
- Valid in all Schengen countries
- A minimum coverage of 30,000 EUR must be purchased
- Insurance conditions such as validity, duration, and extent of your coverage to be clearly stated on the confirmation letter or insurance document
- Employment letter with the following information:
- Name and address of employer
- Nature of employment
- Starting date of employment
- Purpose of travel
- Duration of time off from work for travel
- Scans (copies) of:
- Personal-ID page of passport.
- Older Schengen visas (if relevant).
- Residence permit (if relevant).
Applicants below the age of 18 are required to submit the following additional requirements:
- Copy of birth certificate
- If the minor applicant is adopted, adoption documents are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are divorced, divorce papers are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are deceased, death certificates are required
- Letter of consent from both parents or legal guardians
- Passport copies of both parents or legal guardians
It may also be necessary to submit supplementary documents in relation to your travel visa application.
Finland Schengen Visa Fees
The standard fee for the application of a Finland Schengen visa is 80 EUR. However, there are particular applicants who are exempted from fees, such as most student visas and visas for children below the age of 6. The visa fee can be paid either in cash or through bank transfers. Contact the consulate for more information on the visa fee. Applicants will probably have to pay a separate, non-refundable service payment with their application.
Finland Visa Application Steps
- Prepare all the required documents.
- Select “Tourism” as the reason for travel on the visa application form.
- Decide the number of entries needed to Finland or the Schengen area.
- Fill out the application form.
- The application form for a Finnish Schengen visa can be found here. Fill out the form in capital letters, print, and sign it. The form must be submitted to the Finnish consulate or visa processing center.
- Schedule a visa appointment, if applicable.
Most applications require an in-person appointment at the nearest Finnish Consulate or visa center in order to submit the application. Alternatively, applications may be submitted without prior appointment during normal operating hours. Contact the Finnish Consulate or visa center to determine if there is a need to schedule an appointment.
- Submit your Finland Schengen visa application.
Note: Applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the date of travel but not earlier than 6 months before the date of travel.
- Generally, applications must be submitted in person to the Finnish Consulate or visa processing center. However, there may be a few differences in the submission procedures.
- Applicants will likely be required to submit their fingerprints (biometric data). Children below the age of 12 are exempted from biometric data collection, but facial photo capturing is a must, regardless of the applicant’s age.
- Applicants may be required to come back on another date for an interview regarding their trip.
- Pay the visa application fee.
When to Apply
Applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the travel date but not earlier than 6 months before the travel date.
Where to Apply for a Finland Schengen Visa
- Applications should be submitted either through the Finnish Consulate or a visa application center that is connected with Finland.
- Applications should be submitted at a consulate closest to the applicant or a visa processing center nominated by the consulate.
- Applications should be submitted only in the country of citizenship or residence.
- Applicants can search for the locations of Finnish Consulates and visa application centers here.
- In countries without any Finnish consulate, applications may be submitted through a Schengen state consulate representing the interests of a Finnish consulate.
- Applications must be submitted personally to the consulate or the visa processing center.
Finland Visa Processing Time
- It takes approximately 15 days to process Finland Schengen visa applications. However, in some cases it might take as long as 45 days.
For approved visa applications:
- Applicants must ensure that the information on the visa is complete and valid upon collection.
Applicants who have received their Schengen Visa for Finland should remember the following things:
- Inform the Finnish Consulate of any change to your itinerary after submission is completed.
- The approval of a Schengen visa does not guarantee entry to Finland or other countries in the Schengen area.
- Additional documents pertaining to your financial means or accommodation may still be required to gain entry to Finland or other Schengen areas.
For denied visa applications:
- If your application for a Finland Schengen visa was rejected, you have the right to appeal the decision within 30 days.
- The letter of rejection contains the procedures of the appeal process, including the following information:
- Appeals must be written in either Finnish or Swedish.
- The appeal should be in the form of a request for an administrative review from the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- A non-refundable fee of 170 EUR must be paid.
- If the appeal is rejected by the Finnish MFA, applicants have 30 days to submit a final appeal with the Helsinki Administrative Court.
- The final appeal will be brought to a Finnish consulate and requires a non-refundable fee of 260 EUR. The outcome of the appeal is considered final and cannot be appealed any further.