Required Documents for a Hungary Schengen Visa
Application forms for a Hungarian Schengen visa application are available in Hungarian, French, or English. However, if your application comes with additional documents written in a language other than the three previously mentioned, they must be also be translated into either English or Hungarian.
Documents for a Hungarian visa application must be filled in using capital Roman letters.
- Valid passport
- At least 2 blank pages
- With the applicant’s signature
- Not more than 10 years old
- Valid for at least 3 months after the expiration of the requested visa
- Previous passport, if applicable
- Passport-sized photos
- Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm
- Plain white background
- Taken within the past 6 months
- Forward-facing with facial features visible and clear
- Completed application form
- Biometric data (Fingerprints)
- Hungary Visa fee
- Documents pertinent to your trip
- Travel Itinerary or plan
- Proof of return to the country of residence or forward ticket to another country
- Reason for travel to Hungary
- Flight reservations
- Proof of financial means (bank statements over the last 3-month period, personal properties, and/or other assets)
- Proof of accommodations (with booking reference number, location, and contact number of the hotel)
- Travel medical insurance
- Valid through the entire visa period
- Valid in all Schengen countries
- A minimum coverage of 30,000 EUR must be purchased
- Insurance conditions such as validity, duration, and extent of your coverage to be clearly stated on the confirmation letter or insurance document
- Employment letter with the following information:
- Name and address of employer
- Nature of employment
- Starting date of employment
- Purpose of travel
- Duration of time off from work for travel
- Scans (copies) of:
- Personal-ID page of passport.
- Older Schengen visas (if relevant).
- Residence permit (if relevant).
Applicants below the age of 18 are required to submit the following additional requirements:
- Copy of birth certificate
- If the minor applicant is adopted, adoption documents are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are divorced, divorce papers are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are deceased, death certificates are required
- Letter of consent from both parents or legal guardians
- Passport copies of both parents or legal guardians
It may also be necessary to submit supplementary documents in relation to your travel visa application.
Hungary Schengen Visa Fees
The standard fee for the application of a Hungarian Schengen visa is 80 EUR. However, there are particular applicants who are exempted from fees, such as most student visas and visas for children below the age of 6. Applicants will probably have to pay a separate, non-refundable service payment with their application.
Hungary Visa Application Steps
- Prepare all the required documents.
- Select “Tourism” as the reason for travel on the visa application form.
- Decide the number of entries needed to Hungary or the Schengen area.
- Fill out the application form.
- The application form for a Hungarian Schengen visa can be downloaded from here. Applicants can also collect a paper copy from any Hungarian Consulate or Embassy.
- Schedule a visa appointment, if applicable.
Most applications require an in-person appointment at the nearest Hungarian Consulate or visa center in order to submit the application. Alternatively, applications may be submitted without prior appointment during normal operating hours. Contact the Hungarian Consulate or visa center to determine if there is a need to schedule an appointment.
- Submit your Hungary Schengen visa application.
Note: Applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the date of travel but not earlier than 6 months before the date of travel.
- Generally, applications must be submitted in person to the Hungarian Consulate or visa processing center. However, there may be a few differences in the submission procedures.
- In a few cases, applicants may have authorized persons submit the application on their behalf, as long as the authorization has been certified by a notary. Professional, cultural or sporting associations may also apply on behalf of a member. Travel agencies may also apply in the case of organized travel trips. However, the application must be signed personally by the applicant, even if someone or an organization is submitting on their behalf.
- Applicants will likely be required to submit their fingerprints (biometric data). Children below the age of 12 are exempted from fingerprint data collection. Applicants who have submitted their fingerprints within the last 59 months will most likely not be asked to resubmit.
- Applicants may also be asked to come back on another date for an interview regarding their trip.
- Pay the visa application fee.
When to Apply
Visa applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the travel date but not earlier than 6 months before the travel date.
Where to Apply for a Hungary Schengen Visa
- Applications should be submitted either through the Hungarian Consulate or a visa application center that is connected with Hungary.
- In countries without any Hungarian consulate, applications may be submitted through a Schengen state consulate representing the interests of a Hungarian consulate.
- In countries without any Hungarian consulate or Schengen consulate representing the interest of a Hungarian consulate, applications may be submitted to any Hungarian consulate outside the Schengen area.
- Applicants must have a valid reason If they must apply in a Hungarian consulate or visa processing center where they are not a citizen or a resident. For example, the applicant is a legally staying in another country on a valid permit or visa and that the consulate in said country has accepted the reasons for applying through them and has chosen to process the application.
- Applicants can check for the locations of Hungarian Consulates and visa application centers here.
Hungary Visa Processing Time
- Generally, it takes approximately 15 days to process Hungary Schengen visa applications. However, in some cases it might take as long as 45 days.
For approved visa applications:
- Applicants must ensure that the information on the visa is complete and valid upon collection.
Applicants who have received their Schengen Visa for Hungary should remember the following things:
- Inform the Hungarian Consulate or visa application center of any change to your itinerary after submission is completed.
- The approval of a Schengen visa does not guarantee entry upon arrival to Hungary or other countries in the Schengen area.
- Additional documents pertaining to your financial means or accommodation may still be required to gain entry to Hungary or other Schengen areas.
For denied visa applications:
- If your application for a Hungarian Schengen visa was rejected, you or your legal representative have the right to appeal the decision within 8 days.
- The appeal process begins by picking up the standard-issued visa refusal form which also has the details of the reason for the rejection, and the procedures of the appeal process, including where the appeal should be sent.
- Appeals are decided by the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 15 days after receiving it.
- Appeals should be submitted in writing in Hungarian or other E.U. languages. Applicants who choose to submit appeals in a non-E.U. language must include an official translation. The appeal should be signed by you or a person that has been legally authorized by you.
- A non-refundable fee of 30 EUR must be paid for the appeal to be processed.