Required Documents for Latvia Schengen Visa
Documents for a Latvian visa application must be filled in using capital letters and completed or translated into English, Latvian, or Russian.
- Valid passport
- At least 2 blank pages
- With the applicant’s signature
- Not more than 10 years old
- Valid for at least 3 months after the expiration of the requested visa
- Previous passport, if applicable
- Passport-sized photos
- Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm
- Plain white background
- Taken within the past 6 months
- Forward-facing with facial features visible and clear
- Completed application form
- Biometric data (Fingerprints)
- Latvia Visa fee
- Documents pertinent to your trip
- Travel Itinerary or plan
- Proof of return to the country of residence or forward ticket to another country
- Reason for travel to Latvia
- Flight reservations
- Proof of financial means (bank statements over the last 3-month period, personal properties, and/or other assets)
- Proof of accommodations (with booking reference number, location, and contact number of the hotel)
- Travel medical insurance
- Valid through the entire visa period
- Valid in all Schengen countries
- A minimum coverage of 30,000 EUR must be purchased
- Insurance conditions such as validity, duration, and extent of your coverage to be clearly stated on the confirmation letter or insurance document
- Employment letter with the following information:
- Name and address of employer
- Nature of employment
- Starting date of employment
- Purpose of travel
- Duration of time off from work for travel
- Scans (copies) of:
- Personal-ID page of passport.
- Older Schengen visas (if relevant).
- Residence permit (if relevant).
- Applicants below the age of 18 are required to submit the following additional requirements:
- Copy of birth certificate
- If the minor applicant is adopted, adoption documents are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are divorced, divorce papers are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are deceased, death certificates are required
- Letter of consent from both parents or legal guardians
- Passport copies of both parents or legal guardians
- It may also be necessary to submit supplementary documents in relation to your travel visa application.
Latvia Visa Fees
The standard fee for the application of a Latvian Schengen visa is 80 EUR. However, there are particular applicants who are exempted from fees, such as most student visas and visas for children below the age of 6. Applicants will probably have to pay a separate, non-refundable service payment with their application.
Latvia Visa Application Steps
- Prepare all the required documents.
- Select “Tourism” as the reason for travel on the visa application form.
- Decide the number of entries needed to Latvia or the Schengen area.
- Fill out the application form.
- Application procedures for a Latvian Schengen visa may vary, depending on where you are applying from. However, applicants will most likely need to apply online through the country’s E-Visa system which can be accessed here.
- Fill out the application form online, print and sign it. Submit the paper copy to the Latvian consulate or visa processing center.
- Schedule a visa appointment, if applicable.
- Most applications require an in-person appointment at the nearest Latvian Consulate or visa center in order to submit the application. Alternatively, applications may be submitted without prior appointment during normal operating hours. Contact the Latvian Consulate or visa center to determine if there is a need to schedule an appointment.
- Submit your Latvia Schengen visa application.
- Note: Applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the date of travel but not earlier than 6 months before the date of travel.
- Generally, applications must be submitted in person to the Latvian Consulate or visa processing center. However, there may be a few differences in the submission procedures.
- Applicants will likely be required to submit their fingerprints (biometric data). Children below the age of 12 are exempted from biometric data collection. Applicants who have submitted their fingerprints within the last 59 months will most likely not be asked to resubmit.
- Applicants may also be asked to come back on another date for an interview regarding their trip.
- Pay the visa application fee.
When to Apply for Latvia Schengen Visa
Visa applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the travel date but not earlier than 6 months before the travel date.
Where to Apply
Applications should be submitted personally either through the Latvian Consulate, or the consulate of a country that represents the consular affairs of Latvia.
In countries without any Latvian consulate, applications may be submitted through a Schengen state consulate representing the interests of a Latvian consulate.
A list of Latvian embassies and consulates is available here.
Applications should be submitted only in the country of citizenship or residence.
Applicants who need to apply through a consulate or visa processing center located in a country where they are legally present but not a resident, must have a valid reason for doing so. Valid reasons include staying legally in the country on a valid visa or permit and that the consulate in that country has accepted your reasons and has decided to process your application.
Latvia Visa Processing Time
Generally, it takes approximately 15 days to process Latvia Schengen visa applications. However, in some cases it might take as long as 45 days.
For approved Latvia visa applications:
Applicants must ensure that the information on the visa is complete and valid upon collection.
Applicants who have received their Schengen Visa for Latvia should remember the following things:
- Inform the Latvian Consulate or visa application center of any change to your itinerary after submission is completed.
- The approval of a Schengen visa does not guarantee entry upon arrival to Latvia or other countries in the Schengen area.
- Additional documents pertaining to your financial means or accommodation may still be required to gain entry to Latvia or other Schengen areas.
For denied Latvia visa applications:
If your application for a Latvian Schengen visa was rejected, you or your legal representative have the right to appeal the decision within 30 days.
The appeal must be submitted in writing, by mail, in person, or electronically (as long as it has a valid electronic signature). The appeal should be written in English, Latvian, or Russian, or have an official translation in one of the languages previously mentioned.
The appeal should be sent to the Director of the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to the following address:
- Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Elizabetes iela 57, Riga, LV-1050, Republic of Latvia.
- The address of the consulate which rejected the visa application.
Persons who have been appointed by applicants to submit the appeal on their behalf should obtain a notarized power of attorney. Notarized power of attorneys issued outside Latvia, the European Economic Area, or the Swiss Federation must be legalized at the Consular Department of the Latvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the Latvian consulate where the original application was submitted. If neither option is available, the power of attorney can be authenticated via an Apostille from the relevant legal institution in issuing country.
A ruling will be issued by the Consular Department of the Latvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs within 30 days of receiving the appeal. A written copy of the decision will be sent in Latvian with an English summary.
If the above entity rejects the appeal, the final option is to submit an appeal with the Administrative Court of the Republic of Latvia. Their ruling is considered final and cannot be appealed any further.
A non-refundable fee must be paid for the appeal to be processed.