Required Documents for Austrian Schengen Visa
Documents for an Austrian visa application must be completed or translated into English or German.
- Valid passport
- At least 2 blank pages
- With the applicant’s signature
- Not more than 10 years old
- Valid for at least 3 months after the expiration of the requested visa
- Previous passport, if applicable
- Passport-sized photos
- Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm
- Plain white background
- Taken within the past 6 months
- Forward-facing with facial features visible and clear
- Completed application form
- Biometric data (Fingerprints)
- Visa fee
- Documents pertinent to your trip
- Travel Itinerary or plan
- Proof of return to the country of residence or forward ticket to another country
- Reason for travel to Austria
- Flight reservations
- Proof of financial means (bank statements over the last 3-month period, personal properties, and/or other assets)
- Proof of accommodations (with booking reference number, location, and contact number of the hotel)
- Travel medical insurance
- Valid through the entire visa period
- Valid in all Schengen countries
- Minimum coverage of 30,000 EUR must be purchased
- Insurance conditions such as validity, duration, and extent of your coverage to be clearly stated on the confirmation letter or insurance document
- Employment letter with the following information:
- Name and address of employer
- Nature of employment
- Starting date of employment
- Purpose of travel
- Duration of time off from work for travel
- Scans (copies) of:
- Personal-ID page of passport.
- Older Schengen visas (if relevant).
- Residence permit (if relevant).
Applicants below the age of 18 are required to submit the following additional requirements:
- Copy of birth certificate
- If the minor applicant is adopted, adoption documents are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are divorced, divorce papers are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are deceased, death certificates are required
- Letter of consent from both parents or legal guardians
- Passport copies of both parents or legal guardians
It may also be necessary to submit supplementary documents in relation to your travel visa application.
Austrian Schengen Visa Fees
The standard fee for the application of an Austrian Schengen visa is 80 EUR. However, there are particular applicants who are exempted from fees, such as most student visas and visas for children below the age of 6. Applicants will probably have to pay a separate, non-refundable service payment with their application.
Austrian Visa Application Steps
- Prepare all the required documents.
- Select “Tourism” as the reason for travel on the visa application form.
- Decide the number of entries needed to Austria or the Schengen area.
- Fill out the application form.
Application procedures for an Austrian Schengen visa may vary, depending on where you are applying from. Applicants may have to download, complete, and print out the online form which can be accessed here.
The form must be submitted to the Austrian consulate or visa processing center.
- Schedule a visa appointment, if applicable.
Most applications require an in-person appointment at the nearest Austrian Consulate or visa center in order to submit the application. Alternatively, applications may be submitted without prior appointment during normal operating hours. Contact the Austrian Consulate or visa center to determine if there is a need to schedule an appointment.
- Submit your Austria Schengen visa application.
Note: Applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the date of travel but not earlier than 6 months before the date of travel.
Generally, applications must be submitted in person to the Austrian Consulate or visa processing center. However, there may be a few differences in the submission procedures.
Applicants will likely be required to submit their fingerprints (biometric data). Children below the age of 12 are exempted from biometric data collection, but facial photo capturing is a must, regardless of the applicant’s age.
- Pay the visa application fee.
When to Apply
Visa applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the travel date but no earlier than 6 months before the travel date.
Where to Apply for an Austrian Schengen Visa
- Applications should be submitted either through the Austrian Consulate or a visa application center that is connected with Austria.
- In countries without any Austrian consulate, applications may be submitted through a Schengen state consulate representing the interests of the Austrian consulate.
- Applications should be submitted only in the country of citizenship or residence.
- Applicants can check for the locations of Austrian Consulates and visa application centers here.
Austrian Visa Processing Time
Generally, it takes approximately 15 days to process Austrian Schengen visa applications. However, in some cases it might take as long as 45 days.
For approved visa applications:
Applicants must ensure that the information on the visa is complete and valid upon collection.
Applicants who have received their Schengen Visa for Austria should remember the following things:
- Inform the Austrian Consulate or visa application center of any change to your itinerary after submission is completed.
- The approval of a Schengen visa does not guarantee entry upon arrival to Austria or other countries in the Schengen area.
- Additional documents pertaining to your financial means or accommodation may still be required to gain entry to Austria or other Schengen areas.
For denied visa applications:
- If your application for an Austrian Schengen visa was rejected, you have the right to appeal the decision with the Austrian Federal Administrative Court, through the same consulate which rejected the visa application.
- Applicants will receive a standard-issued Austrian Schengen visa refusal form containing the procedures of the appeal process and the reason why the visa application was denied.
- A non-refundable appeal fee must be paid for the appeal to be processed.