Required Documents for a Germany Schengen Visa
Documents for a German Schengen visa application must be completed or translated into English or German unless otherwise specified.
- Valid passport
- At least 2 blank pages
- With the applicant’s signature
- Not more than 10 years old
- Valid for at least 3 months after the expiration of the requested visa
- Previous passport, if applicable
- Passport-sized photos
- Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm
- Plain white background
- Taken within the past 6 months
- Forward-facing with facial features visible and clear
- Completed application form
- Biometric data (Fingerprints)
- Germany Visa fee
- Documents pertinent to your trip
- Travel Itinerary or plan
- Proof of return to the country of residence or forward ticket to another country
- Reason for travel to Germany
- Flight reservations
- Proof of financial means (bank statements over the last 3-month period, personal properties, and/or other assets)
- Proof of accommodations (with booking reference number, location, and contact number of the hotel)
- Travel medical insurance
- Valid through the entire visa period
- Valid in all Schengen countries
- A minimum coverage of 30,000 EUR must be purchased
- Insurance conditions such as validity, duration, and extent of your coverage to be clearly stated on the confirmation letter or insurance document
- Employment letter with the following information:
- Name and address of employer
- Nature of employment
- Starting date of employment
- Purpose of travel
- Duration of time off from work for travel
- Scans (copies) of:
- Personal-ID page of passport.
- Older Schengen visas (if relevant).
- Residence permit (if relevant).
- Applicants below the age of 18 are required to submit the following additional requirements:
- Copy of birth certificate
- If the minor applicant is adopted, adoption documents are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are divorced, divorce papers are required
- If the minor applicant's parents are deceased, death certificates are required
- Letter of consent from both parents or legal guardians
- Passport copies of both parents or legal guardians
- It may also be necessary to submit supplementary documents in relation to your travel visa application.
Germany Schengen Visa Fees
The standard fee for the application of a German Schengen visa is 80 EUR. However, there are particular applicants who are exempted from fees, such as most student visas and visas for children below the age of 6. Applicants will probably have to pay a separate, non-refundable service payment with their application.
Germany Schengen Visa Application Steps
- Prepare all the required documents.
- Select “Tourism” as the reason for travel on the visa application form.
- Decide the number of entries needed to Germany or the Schengen area.
- Fill out the application form.
- Application forms for a German Schengen visa can be found on the website of the specific consulate where you wish to apply. It is available for download in the country’s local language, including English and German.
- Applications can be submitted through Germany’s online navigator which is accessible in various languages aside from English and German.
- Applicants can also download, complete and print out the form here.
- Submit a paper copy of the application form to a German consulate or visa processing center.
- Schedule a visa appointment, if applicable.
- Most applications require an in-person appointment at the nearest German Consulate or visa center in order to submit the application. Alternatively, applications may be submitted without prior appointment during normal operating hours. Contact the German Consulate or visa center to determine if there is a need to schedule an appointment.
- Submit your Germany Schengen visa application.
- Note: Applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the date of travel but not earlier than 6 months before the date of travel.
- Generally, applications must be submitted in person to the German Consulate or visa processing center. However, there may be a few differences in the submission procedures.
- Applicants will likely be required to submit their fingerprints (biometric data). Children below the age of 12 are likely exempted from fingerprint data collection. Applicants who have submitted their fingerprints within the last 59 months will most likely not be asked to resubmit.
- Applicants may also be asked to come back on another date for an interview regarding their trip.
- Pay the visa application fee.
When to Apply
Visa applications must be submitted at least 15 days before the travel date but not earlier than 6 months before the travel date.
Where to Apply for a Germany Visa
Applications should be submitted either through the German Consulate or a visa application center that is connected with Germany.
In countries without any German consulate, applications may be submitted through a Schengen state consulate representing the interests of a German consulate.
Applications should be submitted only in the country of citizenship or residence.
Processing Time for Germany Visa
Generally, it takes approximately 2 to 10 days to process Germany Schengen visa applications. However, in some cases it might take longer.
For approved visa applications:
Applicants must ensure that the information on the visa is complete and valid upon collection.
Applicants who have received their Schengen Visa for Germany should remember the following things:
- Inform the German Consulate or visa application center of any change to your itinerary after submission is completed.
- The approval of a Schengen visa does not guarantee entry upon arrival to Germany or other countries in the Schengen area.
- Additional documents pertaining to your financial means or accommodation may still be required to gain entry to Germany or other Schengen areas.
For denied Germany visa applications:
- If your application for a German Schengen visa was rejected, you have the right to appeal the decision.
- The appeal process begins by picking up the standard-issued visa refusal form which also has the details of the reason for the rejection and the procedures of the appeal process.
- Appeals have to be written or must include a translation into English or German.
- A non-refundable fee must be paid for the appeal to be processed.